Thursday, August 26, 2010

Café Fix and Käsespätzle in Frankfurt

Frankfurt's nickname, Bankfurt, all but kept me from visiting the city. I had a day to kill before a flight and although I had been told I probably wouldn't enjoy my Frankfurt visit unless I was really into banks and other office buildings, I decided to think positive and ventured out solo to check out this cosmopolitan center.


Though low in Old World Charm, Frankfurt proved to be entertaining; at the beginning of the day I was concerned about potential boredom but found myself having to run to my gate at the end of the day. That there is a good sign that Frankfurt was worth the trip.


In my pre-trip reading I discovered two things that caught my ear. First, 1/3 of Frankfurt's residents carry foreign passports. Second, and probably the most intriguing tidbit of current info I've learned about any European city, is in regards to the support the Frankfurt government provides to hard drug addicts. In 1992 Frankfurt began offering pump rooms to users. The facilities offer clean needles and a safe place for users to go to get counseling and medical attention (while maintaining their habit). Café Fix, which is a mere eight-minute walk from Central Station, was swarming with a gang of un-sober folks congregating around the door anxiously awaiting the 10:00am opening. This compassionate approach is used in many places in Europe and is considered a success. There are approximately 18K heroin-related deaths in the US annually, while all of Europe (which has a much larger population) has around 8K fatalities each year. Now that's thinking outside the box. 


Much less controversial but much more appeasing to the eye is Frankfurt's Old Town. It offers all you would expect in an area deemed "Old Town"--half-timbers, cheery eateries, lovely churches, and a fountain in the center.

I know! Too darling for words.









No place left un-cafe'd.




As enjoyable as Old Town was, my meal took the cake. Perhaps you've heard of spätzle. (If no, have food on hand for use after reading.) Spätzle is a common noodle in Germany. I have been told that the further south you go the better the spätzle. I plan to try that out. Käsespätzle cheese  spätzle) is a hot, baked, gooey delish dish of spätzle, multiple cheeses, butter, flour, milk, and sometimes onions. It’s good in Hamburg, and it is to die for in Frankfurt.




Lucky for me, outdoor biergarten ambience came with the meal. 

   

2 comments:

  1. It looks like Frankfurt has it's very own type of Mac N Cheese, YUM!!! I am so proud of you venturing out again on your own. Due to my involvement in substance abuse prevention for at-risk girls I find what Frankfurt's Cafe's are doing an interesting yet seemingly successful approach. Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of the spatzal, it is soooooo good... do you eat a lot of schnitzel?? The kind with the lemon stuffed inside was always my fave. Glad you found something fun in Frankfurt though - I stayed there with my dad and sister in the dead of winter and they did not really appreciate it at all. We went wine tasting there though, but they only gave you a tiny bit and my dad was so mad they ripped him off. He told the German guy working there it barely wet his whistle. Oh the memories.... Love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete