Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hamburg on the Harbor

Teaching, dying slowly in German classes, and the commute between the two consumes all the time that I used to spend walking around drinking chai tea and snapping shots. Those peaceful memories are just a distant memory now. I know, a moment of silence is due. With daily hustle and bustle comes the frequent inkling to ball-up and throw out the to-do list and just get out there to take some pictures.

On a day that I had a couple of hours to spare I bee-lined to the harbor, grabbed a hot bevie, wrapped the camera safety strap around my wrist, and set out to observe some Hamburgers enjoying their harbor the way they always do.




I have yet to discover anything particularly spectacular about the Hamburg Harbor. Sure, the water is pleasant to look at, the machinery planted throughout the river is kind of cool, and the view is gray, wet, and gloomy. All that considered, the harbor IS what allowed Hamburg to grow into the second biggest city in Germany, so I suppose it deserves some credit. Hamburg is referred to as Germany's gate to the world because it is the only major German city located on a waterway. Because of this Hamburgers find the Elbe River harbor particularly special. The harbor train station is always a busy one (I know this because the yummy soft pretzels are almost always sold out), and the observation deck is always dotted with folks eating bread and snapping pictures.








Though cold and dreary, the XL chai and excess of photo opps were enough to help me to fall even more in love with our city during my beloved free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment