Sunday, November 7, 2010

Better, Worse, and Just Different

My "It's not better or worse, it's just different" mantra can be applied to just about anything I come across. But, like anything in life, there are always exceptions. I still discover a lot of things that fit into my just different category, but recently I have noticed that some German things are better than what we would find at home, and of course, some are just plain worse.

First, eggs. Not something that can really be too different from continent to continent, right? Sure, except that in Germany they're not refrigerated in stores.

Hold your gag. Much to your surprise no fridge = no problem. Though it looks strange and freaked me out initially, the unrefrigerated endcap won't make you sick. Because of this, unrefrigerated eggs are "just different."


Also in the just different food category is German breakfast. Like most Euro day-starters the German breakfast typically consists of coffee with bread, butter, jam and Nutella, and deli meat and cheese. You can, of course, have eggs, but boiled is more common than scrambled and omelettes. Though standard
Euro breakfasts don't appeal to me, food tastes are too subjective for me to judge, so I'll toss it into the just different category.





Some food found in Hamburg deserves rank in the better category. Though most of the McDonald's menu in Hamburg looks and tastes the same as in MI, McD's here offers local wurst-y treats and more exotic items such as citrus lime grilled chicken sandwiches, pesto salads, and spicy shrimp snack wraps. It seems that McD's "tries out" their flashy new ideas in Germany before setting them into stone in The States. McCafes, which are quite popular in Michigan now, have been popular in Germany for far longer. Not only are they older, but they're bigger, flashier, much more enticing, and a member of the better list.




McCafe's have an abundance of the delicious cakes and sweet treats that many Hamburgers enjoy with their coffee each afternoon. This afternoon time-out for cake and coffee happens to be the next item on the better list.



In order to make time for this peaceful pause, there must be some kind of break in the afternoon, right? Like a quiet time away from distraction for just a couple of hours? You guessed it! According to our contract, 13:00-15:00 (1-3pm) in our apartment is quiet time. No showering, no laundry, little movement at all aside from--the chewing of cake and sipping of coffee. An afternoon break exists in some eateries as well, just a little later in the day. Two hours of sweet silence is well received by me and though I'm usually not home to enjoy it, is a quick addition to the better folder.


While two hours is appreciated, an entire Sunday--every Sunday--is not. No shopping of any kind--including grocery shopping, no museums, no touristy stuff. Restaurants are open, but that's it. I understand the need for forced relaxtion and family time, I do, but it's a hassle and with stores closing between 6 and 8pm weekdays getting all the things bought and done that you need to before Sunday isn't always possible. Once a month or so some stores are open select hours on a Sunday and though we've learned to manage, sometimes you just need one quick thing. Sorry, Hamburg, this is one inconvenience that goes into the worse category.



The final just different entry is plugs.




This situation looks harmless enough, and it is--aside from the fact that in order to plug in any US appliance you need an adapter...or more. In order to plug in the super-awesome-dream-come-true Vita Mix Blender Reggie bought me for Christmas last year we need a special converter and since blenders aren't needed for survival, the blender sadly sits unused until we get one.

 My mind remains open to the surplus of new things around me, but even open-minded folks are allowed to have better, worse, and just different categories...and these lists are getting longer every day.

1 comment:

  1. The first one I read about not better or worse, just different, I thought I should learn from this and have a better attitude, but at the same time for me I know that there are just some things where instead of just different, I'm more like really, what are you thinking?!? And I was waiting to see how many months before you found something that you couldn't say "just different" to... so I found this one interesting too... though there are definitely lots of better things in the DR too, every day is such a learning process. haha anyways, i totally identify with a lot of them you wrote... and just so you know, if you haven't heard yet, ALWAYS crack the non-refrig. eggs in a separate container first - or you might end up with dead chicken babies in your pancake mix or a child's birthday cake mix like I have and I promise the stench will be the worst you have ever experienced.
    I am surprised with all the McD's though, you haven't mentioned beer? Is that still there? Oh and I remember the plugs, my dads ex-gf Jan bought me a whole huge adapter set for any plug imaginable, I probably still had it somewhere in storage back home too... oh well... oh and I can say I hated German breakfasts too, I'm not as polite as you... but I love enough German things to make up for it I think. Okay I'm going to try commenting on your next one now. Love and miss you xoxoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete