Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Taking Chances

I don't feel any different. Not really, anyway. Sure I've learned a few things about this crazy German language and I finally know how to navigate public transit in what used to feel like a neverending concrete jungle, but really I feel like just about the same old LD that I was when we waved goodbye to all our folks at home last June. I hadn't expected this to be the case--I expected some colossal change in what makes me me so that I would return to Michigan a shiny new gal. But, now that Reggie and I have constructed a life in HH (from scratch) I have learned that though our super cool new European experiences will challenge us, teach us, and enhance our lives, who we are will remain. This means that it doesn't take a superhero to take on a challenge like surviving a move across the ocean, or shark-diving, or fighting world hunger--it just takes a person eager and willing to take a risk.

I fully realize that the risks I have taken are nothing compared to the likes of some, so I push myself to keep pushing on and taking more chances.  Opting to take the teaching position at my beloved Seedlings was a risk. It would mean a completely new teaching experience (of inexplicably intimidating little tikes) and it wasn't Tomek. There were lots of ifs. But, within minutes of meeting the founders of my now second Hamburg home I knew that given the chance I would love working with them. Both are strong, admirably capable, and incredibly compassionate women who were willing to take a risk to start what has now become a thriving school. And they took a chance on me--with zero preschool teaching experience it must have been my relentless enthusiasm that caught their attention. The whys make no difference now; we've finished the first part of the first year of Seedlings and I've loved every minute of it.

So have these guys.


These cuties make up one of our two classes.




Oh yeah, we totally built that.


with Rachael and Grit


Realizing that who I am isn't going to change depending upon my geographic location made something else quite clear: the ambitious world-travelers that I have met and ooh-ed and ahh-ed over are just regular folks living out their dreams. I predicted I would leave the only spot I had ever called home and come back some strong, powerful force. Now I realize that there's no such thing as an elite class of folks capable of being world-traveling go-getters--there's only people willing to take a chance. That notion is as refreshing as finding a Hamburg restaurant that will serve you ice water without giving you a funny look first.

Even if they are just regular people willing to take a big risk, having Rachael and Grit, and Seedlings, of course, in my life is a big reason why I am enjoying my time in HH as much as I am. They have welcomed me into their lovely school with open arms and have given me a chance to teach, making me realize more and more everyday that the memories I'll take home with me will come more from the relationships I make than from the places I'll see. I can't think of a more poignant reminder to take a pause on worrying about the must-see list and to simply slow down and enjoy instead.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, how precious, i love the sled picture and as always love the blog, i've been wanting to read and see more about your job and this is so great! love you and see you really soon i hope!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know you were a strong, powerful force before you ever stepped foot off the continent...don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise.
    So nice to see your beautiful face the last weekend.
    Love you-Amesalicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing the thoughts and pictures with us! I for one who and stuck in the house recovering from surgery are living thru your wonderful experience!
    Just so you know your enthusiasm was contagious even at Statte Road! miss You!

    ReplyDelete