Friday, July 30, 2010

The Enchanted Town of Buxtehude

I read about the town of Buxtehude on a fellow US transplant-blogger’s site. Her writing illustrated the quaint town in such a charming way that I had to take a look. Something about morning train rides out of the city inspire me and always seem to enhance the trip. (It’s possibly due to the chai lattes involved.) So, this morning I opted for the earliest train I could. 9:30 is early for summer and the alarm clock hurt pretty badly. (This is where the chai comes in). Once we arrived in Buxtehude and I discovered its cuteness things started to look up.



Buxtehude claims to have been the inspiration for The Brothers Grimm. This claim, along with statues of fairytale characters mounted intermittently throughout the city, give it an enchanted feel. The town is tiny so it didn’t take long to take it all in.



The buildings aren’t as modern as those that cover Hamburg and many of them remind me of what I expect to see when we make it to the south of the country. (Apparently there is a BIG difference in culture between the two halves of the country and with this comes a rivalry.)

Exploring Buxtehude and its adorable architecture was a short and extra sweet way to spend my afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment