Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sankt Michaeliskirche





Referred to as Hamburg’s most famous church, Sankt Michaeliskirche (St. Michael’s Church) is a modest 132-meter baroque masterpiece offering both a breathtaking view and a breathtaking climb up. (I panted the first quarter of the hour I spent looking out at the city. There’s an elevator, learn from me and take that instead.) Certainly, the panoramic view of this stunning harbor city is worth the work and once I caught my breath I was captured by the staggering scenery.








Sankt Michaeliskirche has been built three times. It was first completed in 1669 and has since been redesigned and renovated, the final time in 1945 to repair bombing damage. The copper-covered spire is a widely recognized feature of Hamburg’s skyline. Hamburg has nine sister cities, all which have a replica of St. Michael’s Church (impressive, huh?).



It has been so (abnormally) hot in Hamburg this month that not even these rooftop green spaces could survive. Oh, AC, how we miss you...


Back on the ground via the elevator, the altar is nearly as stunning as the view from the top. The church offers 2,500 seats and lovely scenery. I always find the beauty of ornate church fixtures mesmerizing and the ones at this altar are no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment