Thursday, July 8, 2010

Planten un Blomen (translation: my hiding spot)




When I decided to write this post I sat for quite some time considering a perfect introduction. I wanted to be sure that readers would grasp the beauty of the magical place I had discovered—Hamburg’s largest botanical garden, Planten un Blomen. Much time passed and I was still without a genius introduction. What I did figure out, though, was that while words will let me describe the feeling of serenity that took over me as soon as I entered this place, and pictures can help me show you what washed away the stress of city life, in the end maybe fessing up and admitting that I am not able to find the right words to describe its beauty will probably tell you more about its charm than any other words could.




Whenever I visit a new place when the weather is warm I scour welcome brochures for the botanical gardens. Once located, I immediately plan my retreats to these tranquil places. It is remarkable that they remain as still as they do, composed even when located in the midst of bustling metropolitan concrete. As is the case for Planten un Blomen, a 47-acre (no joke) masterpiece settled barely west of the heart of Hamburg.






Now that Reggie is working and we’re beginning to feel settled, Hamburg feels less like a vacation and more like our new home. With this progress comes the realization that we’re here on our own. We’re happy, excited, and proud—but we’re still on our own. On this particular day this thought crept its way closer to my heart, making my discovery of Planten un Blomen and the serenity it brought me a true gift.




3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love reading the exquisiteness of your vivid writings and photos but this last entry brought tears to my eyes (imagine that). I'm not gonna lie...I worry about the two of you all the time but just for fleeting moments because I know in my heart that the two of you can handle anything. Yes, you could say you are on your own, but just think how blessed you are to have one another on this wonderful adventure. You may think you are on your own, and maybe you are physically but if only you knew how many people are with you and Brian (Reggie)in thought,in prayer, on facebook, in emails and enjoying your wonderful blog you'd know that the two of you are never alone.
    It's no wonder you found your gift of serenity
    at Plenten un Blomen. It's so, so beautiful.
    The photos are absolutely fabulous...Are you sure that's not my camera LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Lauren! This is so beautiful! I am so happy for you, it really appears that you are having a great time, enjoying the journey through your new "home". I love reading your blog, you do such a good job describing Germany to us through your eyes...Michigan misses you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing botanical garden! I don't think I've ever seen one so beautiful, so glad you could share it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete