Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hamburger Bilder aus der Woche

Hamburg Pictures of the Week

There's no shortage of good food in Hamburg. I miss Red Coat Tavern and J. Alexander's so much it hurts but still, I'm far from hungry over here. A recent food discovery has helped ease any hunger pains and the great news is it can be prepared in the convenience of our own home. Introducing raclette: a term used for a cheese, a grill, and the way this memorable meal is crafted.


The grill is called a raclette oven and the bottom rack of it holds little square dishes that you fill with whatever you like, top with a slice of raclette cheese, then put back on the grill. On the top of the grill you cook your meat and fish. Holger was kind enough to prepare all of this for us in his home and this delish meal, solidified with red wine, made for a perfecto meal. Caution: if you don't have a solid hour to spend eating this yummy-ness, don't bother. It deserves it's fair share of time.



While I am fully aware that this debacle could occur in the US just as it did here, I find the ridiculousness of this situation well worth spending a moment on.



My fantastic brother-in-law will celebrate his birthday this week and unfortunately he will not be opening a present from Reggie and I. I have had his gift packed and ready for over a week (and yes, I was uber proud of my punctuality) but each of the four times I attempted to take it to the post, I was greeted with lines at least this long. You should know that all four trips were to different posts at different times of the day. Does this stem from the fact that German service is less speedy than I'm used to? Or is there just a shortage of post offices in HH? Regardless, we've got a problem here (and it's more than just the fact that my brother-in-law doesn't have a present yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment